Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Narcississm Over a Cup of Coffee

Wednesday, February 17th, 2010

I happened to watch a tv program in UNTv one morning. The host was interviewing a psychiatrist, and the topic was a personality disorder called narcissism, and how to deal with it. The doctor simply cite symptoms such as ” laging nakatingin sa salamin”, “makasarili”,”walang pakialam sa iba kundi sa sarili lang”, “walang maganda/ gwapo kundi siya”. Psychotherapy, the doctor said, is the cure.

My breakfast was a little bit interrupted by this program. I thought about what my professor in psychology said during my college days that- all of us are neurotics, we all have tendencies to hysteria!

For me, those words were heavy!

When I gotten to this age and met a lot of people, I found out that my professor was right! Our negative reactions towards unlikely situations shows how neurotic we are. And I have dealt also with people who display psychotic behavior because they can’t seem to trust the people around them, always suspecting that they are being cheated or betrayed; and people who display schizophrenic attitude, constantly changing their minds and emote and do things negatively when they fail to get what they want.

This is what the changing world has negatively brought us— behave negatively! It hurts even the ones who are doing their best to be positive and progressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment